[Development] Qt 5 packaging and binary renaming

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 10:37:19 CET 2012

2012/12/14 Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> Binary renaming is not supported. If you rename binaries, then the qtchooser
> tool will not help you. You're entirely on your own if you do that and, mind
> you, the Qt documentation and all Qt support forums and channels will be
> giving the wrong advice.
>
> Therefore, do not rename.

Sure, qtchooser will be the way to go. To be exact, the old system
(and what I extended to Qt5 until now) in Debian was to first rename
and then use the alternatives system to provide the normally named
binaries, so all documentation was usable. The user was able to select
the version to use with the update-alternatives command.

-Timo