[Development] requesting an own 4.8-blackberry10 branch on gitorious

Peter Hartmann phartmann at rim.com
Mon Dec 17 16:24:25 CET 2012

On 12/17/2012 03:24 PM, Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> (...)
> We can discuss this, but personally I am not that fond of creating
> platform specific branches. I think the drawbacks of these clearly
> outweight the benefits in long run.

Could you please outline the drawbacks? In case you are thinking about
diverging from the 4.8 branch and not upstreaming commits: We are trying
hard to upstream everything we have; however sometimes we just need a
patch quickly in our device builds, then we just cannot wait for it to
be in the 4.8 branch (e.g. https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,42315).

This branch (a release branch if you will) exists already internally,
the question is just whether we are going to have it as part of the
normal qt repo or as a team clone.

> If your problem is mainly turnaround time for getting things in it may be
> due to many being busy with getting Qt 5.0.0 out. In general we are still
> welcoming improvements to 4.8 as long as they are not behavioral or public
> API changes.

Turnaround time is one of the problems (not blaming anyone); another
problem is that we change behaviour deliberately. In that case the
commits are public, but not integrated into the 4.8 branch.

I guess https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,39135 is such a
commit; it has been around for a long time now, and I don't know whether
it ever will be in 4.8, but we needed it in our internal repo so I just
cherry-picked it.

Peter