[Development] requesting an own 4.8-blackberry10 branch on gitorious

Peter Hartmann phartmann at rim.com
Tue Dec 18 15:54:20 CET 2012

On 12/18/2012 12:26 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:00:25AM +0000, Vladimir Minenko wrote:
>> How do we proceed now? More comments? Some details for the expressed doubts? Some actions?
>>
> i created the branch 4.8.4-bb10 (which is also the version number you
> should announce your release as). members of the group "Blackberry10
> Branch Owners" (which you and peter are the admins of) may direct-push
> and submit changes into it (adjustments possible at any time).
>
> for the next release you'll obviously need the next vendor-release
> branch. provided you actually use it to "start from scratch" (by
> rebasing on top of the latest official release), this is cleaner than a
> permanent vendor branch where you only merge from upstream (and get
> yourself a fine mess of already upstreamed and still proprietary
> patches). if the number of patches which are not supposed to be
> upstreamed is is too big, going for the permanent vendor branch would be
> more reasonable, though.

Thanks for setting up the branch; however, would it be possible to get a
4.8-blackberry10 branch (without reference to the patch release number)?
We are not really releasing our own versions of 4.8.4, 4.8.5 etc., but
have our own release cycle for NDK and device images, which is not
related to the Qt 4 release cycle in any way.

So that branch to be created where we make "releases" (builds for NDK /
devices) from is always the 4.8 branch + some not yet upstreamed
commits; a branch called 4.8-blackberry10 would suit that better IMO.

We are never actually "starting from scratch" for new patch releases; in
fact, the patch release number (i.e. whether the libs are called e.g.
*.4.8.4 or *.4.8.5) is just a minor detail to us.

Also (nitpicking), maybe the suffix should be "-blackberry10" instead of
"-bb10", because I guess not everybody knows what "bb10" stands for.

Peter