[Development] QtQuick1 (Qt4 and Qt5)

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 23:33:20 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2012 20.38.58, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>    I've a few API additions to propose to the QML FolderListModel class,
>> which is present in three modules:
>> - Qt4/QtDeclarative
>> - Qt5/QtDeclarative
>> - Qt5/QtQuick1
>>
>> Of course, all changes should go to Qt5/QtDeclarative; but what about
>> the others? Is there going to be one more release of Qt4? If not, I
>> think it makes little sense to update Qt5's QtQuick1 module as well --
>> doesn't it?
>>
>> Just to be clear: I don't mind submitting the changes to all three
>> modules (on the contrary, it would be my preferred choice); but I want
>> to know if there is a point in doing that or not. :-)
>
> There will be no more feature releases in Qt 4.x, so I wouldn't add new
> features to it.
>
> Whether to add new features to QtQuick1 or not... I don't know. Some may argue
> that it should not get features that weren't in Qt 4 (like Qt3Support didn't
> w.r.t Qt 3), while some others may say it's a regular Qt 5 module and that, if
> your new features don't risk adding to the porting effort from Qt 4, it should
> be ok to add them.

I'd argue that it should not get features that aren't in Qt 4.

This goes double for FolderListModel, which is still classified as a
labs import and so has even lower forwards compatibility and
maintenance requirements. So I'd say there's very little reason for
any further development of that import in Qt 4 and therefore QtQuick1.

--
Alan Alpert