[Development] QtQuick1 (Qt4 and Qt5)

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu Dec 27 13:30:24 CET 2012

Op 26-12-2012 23:33, Alan Alpert schreef:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Thiago Macieira
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>> On quarta-feira, 26 de dezembro de 2012 20.38.58, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>     I've a few API additions to propose to the QML FolderListModel class,
>>> which is present in three modules:
>>> - Qt4/QtDeclarative
>>> - Qt5/QtDeclarative
>>> - Qt5/QtQuick1
>>>
>>> Of course, all changes should go to Qt5/QtDeclarative; but what about
>>> the others? Is there going to be one more release of Qt4? If not, I
>>> think it makes little sense to update Qt5's QtQuick1 module as well --
>>> doesn't it?
>>>
>>> Just to be clear: I don't mind submitting the changes to all three
>>> modules (on the contrary, it would be my preferred choice); but I want
>>> to know if there is a point in doing that or not. :-)
>> There will be no more feature releases in Qt 4.x, so I wouldn't add new
>> features to it.
>>
>> Whether to add new features to QtQuick1 or not... I don't know. Some may argue
>> that it should not get features that weren't in Qt 4 (like Qt3Support didn't
>> w.r.t Qt 3), while some others may say it's a regular Qt 5 module and that, if
>> your new features don't risk adding to the porting effort from Qt 4, it should
>> be ok to add them.
> I'd argue that it should not get features that aren't in Qt 4.

I'd argue that as long as QML 2 can't be properly mixed with Qt widgets
(like a QML view in a widget) like you can with QML 1, QML 1 has a very
valid use case on its own, even in Qt 5. AFAIK, QML2 can't support that
use case yet. With that, it also qualifies to get (compatible) feature
updates I think. It should of course not deviate from QML 2 and develop
in other direction, but I think it would be nice to bring features
introduced for QML 2 also for QML 1 when feasible.

André