[Development] Schedule for Qt 4.8.1

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Feb 14 11:20:38 CET 2012

On terça-feira, 14 de fevereiro de 2012 10.47.45, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Tirsdag 14. februar 2012 06.28.00 skrev ext Turunen Tuukka:
> > On 13.2.2012 18.32, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > >On segunda-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2012 12.28.06, Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I think good timing for the 4.8 patch releases would the roughly:
> >
> > 4.8.1 in mid-March
> > 4.8.2 in end-May
> > 4.8.3 in end-September
> > 4.8.3 in mid-January 2013
> >
> > Which leads to about 3 month intervals, that should be suitable for
> > increasing the stability of this already mature base.
>
> May doesn't add up with three months.
> That said, I personally like two month cycles, but maybe three is more
> realistic.

Indeed.

During the Qt 4.3 and 4.4 times, we used to release one patch release every
4-8 weeks, which was only interrupted by having a release from a different
branch.

The current rate in Qt 4.8 was 186 commits in one month (Jan 11 to Feb 11). So
I'd like to suggest that we release after no more than 2 months or 200
commits, and we can release earlier if necessary (as Tuukka suggests).

In reality, I don't know if we have the manpower to do that, nor do I have
access to the binary build farms, so I can't do any more than suggest.