[Development] QML engine C++ class renaming

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Thu Feb 16 12:38:02 CET 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Alan Alpert <alan.alpert at nokia.com> wrote:
> It will be interesting to see how this works out in practice - once there are
> distros that ship a different version of Qt. I may have seen qt 4.8 in a
> fedora somewhere, so this issue is just emerging. QML's approach doesn't seem
> as good for supporting multiple Qt versions "at once", but I'm not convinced
> that's the common case. (FYI: If you're making the app a QML/C++ hybrid like
> you should then you can still use those #ifdefs... but it's less than ideal.)

Speak for yourself, but for me at least, it is. I develop with 5.0
locally (for obvious reasons), I use 4.8 on Mer, and 4.7+randompatches
on Harmattan. That's two major Qt releases, two minor releases, and an
awful lot of variance in QML. ;) This situation is only going to get
worse for application developers as more devices with Qt keep
shipping.

Even on Harmattan itself, the problem of imports comes up a lot. Qt
Components supports a 1.1 import on newer versions, but that won't
work on older Harmattan (for obvious reasons). It is a very real
annoyance to basically be limited to the lowest common denominator in
terms of features, or be forced to duplicate all your QML and ifdef
all over the place like crazy. With 5.0, this will actually probably
be one of the last known annoyances I have with QML.