[Development] QML engine C++ class renaming

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Thu Feb 16 13:51:27 CET 2012

On Thursday, February 16, 2012 13:27:43 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 16 de fevereiro de 2012 13.01.39, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > It's quite similar to the current qmetaobject revisions situation where
> > now qtactiveqt is being updated. QtQuick1 would have to be maintained,
> > but presumably no one is stepping up to do that.
>
> Let's be clear then:
>
> If there's a Qt Quick 1 library, I'd like to see an upfront commitment from
> a group of people to maintain it and for how many releases they plan on
> doing so before finally deprecating and removing it. (for example,
> deprecate in mid-2013 [5.2], mid-2014 [5.4])
>
> I know that predicting the future is hard and changes do happen
> unexpectedly. What I'm asking is for a certain degree of confidence,
> especially because we all know how many hacks were used in developing the
> QtDeclarative and how much of QtCore, QtGui and QtScript internals it made
> use of.
>
> Speaking as the QtCore maintainer, I don't want the burden upon me to keep
> compatibility with a library that extensively (ab)used the internals of my
> module.
>
> If that guarantee cannot be given, I will oppose the inclusion of QtQuick1
> as part of the Qt 5.0 release.

Yes, I would like to see such a group of people appear to maintain it. There
are many other applications beyond kde applications that make use of QML.

Qt marketting has been encouraging lots of people to do new development with
QML and some people have, sometimes ending up with hybrid applications. I
don't think KDE adopted QML as much as commercial Qt developers did, so I
don't think it's a good benchmark.

That said, even if it doesn't get released with Qt 5.0, it could be released
later in the future if those people who want to use it band together and make
it work (with 5.0 or 5.x or both).

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer