[Development] On qbs use inside Qt

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Thu Feb 16 15:25:37 CET 2012

On 16/02/2012 06:35, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> What I mean is that the people developing qbs are free to do so and
> even try to compile qtbase or Qt Creator with it. I'd love to see
> them get qtbase up and running, including solving the bootstrapping
> problem.

We're not solving a bootstrapping issue. We're not shipping qbs with Qt.
We expect you to have qbs, and just use it, just like make/jom (also
based on Qt btw)/nmake/cmake/scons/waf/whatever.

Yes, I keep hearing about "what about bootstrapping!", "You can't have a
build system based on Qt; 'cause then you can't build the build system
before you have Qt, which again needs the build system! Aaaargh! *head
explodes due to cyclic dependencies*" etc.

We have working systems already, lets just use them :)

qbs can build qbs
qbs can build with cross-compilers
..I expect you can take it from there?

--