[Development] On qbs use inside Qt

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Feb 16 15:57:43 CET 2012

On quinta-feira, 16 de fevereiro de 2012 14.25.37, marius.storm-
olsen at nokia.com wrote:
> We're not solving a bootstrapping issue. We're not shipping qbs with Qt.
> We expect you to have qbs, and just use it, just like make/jom (also
> based on Qt btw)/nmake/cmake/scons/waf/whatever.
>
> Yes, I keep hearing about "what about bootstrapping!", "You can't have a
> build system based on Qt; 'cause then you can't build the build system
> before you have Qt, which again needs the build system! Aaaargh! *head
> explodes due to cyclic dependencies*" etc.
>
> We have working systems already, lets just use them :)
>
> qbs can build qbs
> qbs can build with cross-compilers
> ..I expect you can take it from there?

I think the question does apply. CMake isn't built with cmake -- it bootstraps
itself. The same goes to GCC: it can be bootstrapped with any half-decent C
compiler. G++ doesn't even require a C++ compiler to be built. GNU tar isn't
distributed in a tarball only (cpio and shar, see
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/tar/>), gzip is also packaged with xz
(<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gzip/>).

This question applies for example for a distribution being built with OBS.
Without the bootstrapping, it requires seeding the distribution with an
existing qbs. I don't know if that is permitted. The OBS people should speak
up.

Then again, the system must be able to break the dependency when building gzip
and tar already, somehow.