[Development] On qbs use inside Qt

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Fri Feb 17 10:19:20 CET 2012

On 16 Feb 2012, at 13:35, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:

> On quinta-feira, 16 de fevereiro de 2012 12.47.02, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
>>> But if the qbs devs want to start adding files to the Qt installation like
>>> the  current pkg-config, cmake and libtool files, they can. I would
>>> personally request that they make a 1.0 release of their tool first.
>>
>> I have to disagree: A basic principle for developing software are
>> use-cases. For applications you get them from UI spec. For good
>> libraries you get them from non-trivial applications. For build systems
>> you get them from existing, non-trivial software you try to build.
>>
>> For QBS it is natural to use something complex like QtCreator or Qt
>> itself as test bed.
>>
>> Like you said above, QBS support would be optional. So you would see no
>> harm from their iterations: Causal people would stick to qmake, and
>> whatever.
>
> I'm not sure I understand you, Mathias...
>
> What I mean is that the people developing qbs are free to do so and even try
> to compile qtbase or Qt Creator with it. I'd love to see them get qtbase up
> and running, including solving the bootstrapping problem.
>
> In addition, since the decision was made to allow .cmake files to be included
> as part of the Qt build and install them, we can't now say QBS files can't get
> the same right.
>
> What I don't want, based on what Lars said, is to see files that attempt to
> build qtbase with QBS in the master branch. That is going to disrupt other
> work. Use branches for that feature development.
>
> I can't make the decision for Qt Creator though, but I'd expect them to do the
> same (which means rejecting change 16019).

<wonder>Why would that mean to reject http://codereview.qt-project.org/16019 ?</wonder>

It just adds files that could be used for building Qt Creator with qbs, but it doesn't disrupt anybody's workflow as long as they use qmake. Which still is the only supported and required build system for Qt Creator. Any change that does not build with qmake will be rejected.

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori