[Development] On qbs use inside Qt

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Fri Feb 17 14:29:49 CET 2012

On 2/17/12 2:24 PM, "ext marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com"
<marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com> wrote:

>On 17/02/2012 05:41, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On sexta-feira, 17 de fevereiro de 2012 09.19.20,
>> eike.ziller at nokia.com wrote:
>>> <wonder>Why would that mean to reject
>>> http://codereview.qt-project.org/16019 ?</wonder>
>>>
>>> It just adds files that could be used for building Qt Creator with
>>> qbs, but it doesn't disrupt anybody's workflow as long as they use
>>> qmake. Which still is the only supported and required build system
>>> for Qt Creator. Any change that does not build with qmake will be
>>> rejected.
>>
>> You're opening the door for anyone to come in and supply their own
>> buildsystem files for Qt Creator, before any decision on which one we
>> want in the end is made.
>>
>> If the Creator team is fine with that, then go ahead.
>>
>> I don't want those changes in the modules I am watching for. I get
>> enough emails from Gerrit as it is.
>
>As Qt Creator is working towards integrating qbs into the product, I
>think it's only natural that the qbs files are added to the Qt Creator
>repository. Qt and Qt Creator are two separate products, and obviously
>can have separate policies.
>
>Also, qbs is already capable of building Qt Creator, so adding the files
>make sense. It's not yet capable of compiling Qt, so adding those files
>obviously don't make sense yet.

It's a bit up to the QtCreator maintainers to decide policy here.

But for Qt Thiago's point of view is the right one. For now, we don't add
files in to build Qt in any other way than with qmake. I don't want us to
get distracted from getting Qt 5.0 done and out of the door.

Cheers,
Lars