[Development] Deprecating QString::{v,}sprintf()

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Tue Feb 21 09:44:34 CET 2012

Hi,

The QString header contains a ### about removing sprintf() in 5.0, but it's
still there. I'd like to deprecate them.

I have a long-standing hate of the fact that QString::sprintf() is not static,
so my preferred solution would be to make it static, but that silently breaks
existing usage other than the idiomatic QString().sprintf().

Unless there's a clever technique by which we can at compile-time catch
non-static uses of sprintf(), I'd propose to just deprecate it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Marc