[Development] (long) thoughts on categorized logging (qLog)

Lincoln Ramsay lincoln.ramsay at nokia.com
Fri Feb 24 00:48:33 CET 2012

On 02/23/2012 09:48 PM, ext David Faure wrote:
>> PART 2: Compatibility with qDebug/qWarning
>> qDebug() and qWarning() will be re-implemented as categorized logging
>> statements. Both will use the same, hard-coded category. [...]
>
> Very good. Please don't deprecate it though (you're already calling it
> "legacy") ;)
>
> I consider qDebug("foo") and qDebug()<<  "foo" to be the very useful "throw-
> away" debugging, so indeed it should be on by default, and it should not be
> considered deprecated/legacy.

I wasn't intending for them it to be removed but certainly, I'd expect
uses of plain qDebug/qWarning in Qt to migrate to the categorized versions.

>> # write output to a file (in the user's home directory)
>> logging.output.file = file.txt
>
> I suppose Windows users would expect relative paths to be "in the CWD, which
> is usually the executable's directory"? Not sure.

That doesn't work when an unprivileged user runs an installed app
because they don't have permission to write to Program Files.

If a relative path is going to cause problems then I'm happy to require
absolute paths :)

--
Lincoln Ramsay - Senior Software Engineer
Qt Development Frameworks, Nokia - http://qt.nokia.com/