[Development] Hacking guide for Qt's SSL Support

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas at hanssen.name
Sun Jan 1 16:51:16 CET 2012

2012/1/1 Richard Moore <rich at kde.org>

> I've just added a WIP guide to working on the SSL code in Qt. Please
> feel free to edit/extend/comment:

https://wiki.qt-project.org/Hacking_on_Qts_SSL_Support

Hi Richard, looks really good! For Qt 4, the idea was to have several
backends like you write here. Still we ended up with only one, and it's not
really that much of a well-define backend. Especially considering it's the
only one ;-).

The other options I imagined were GnuTLS [*], and using native SSL support
should that exist.

Today the backend separation is still around but it only complicates the
code unless there truly are other backends to support.

What are your thoughts on this?

Andreas

[*] http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/ - dropped because it clearly staged
it was in early Alpha stage at the time, which I find to be really scary
for a security framework, and currently I don't think the licensing looks
very interesting. If OpenSSL does the job then why use GnuTLS?

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen