[Development] Feature freeze date?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jan 6 12:40:56 CET 2012

On Friday, 6 de January de 2012 10.16.49, Friedemann Kleint wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for QtWidgets, there is still a lot of work to be done before everything
> is in place. That is, a lot of stuff needs to happen around:
>
> Widgets: QGuiPlatformPluginInterface
> Gui: QPlatformTheme
>
> meaning factoring out the platform-specific code enclosed in Q_WS_XX and
> moving  it into one of those classes, even renaming/reorganizing them.
>
> This means breaking source compatibility here - not sure if it is
> affected by the feature freeze?

In the strict sense, I'd say that it's a feature that needs to be complete by
the feature freeze.

The QtWidgets part of it, at least, is feature-parity with Qt 4, so it's
technically not a *new* feature. It does, however, mean that you'll have less
time to stabilise the code compared to the rest of Qt. And I do expect this to
be an area of serious interest once 5.0 is out: if we don't do a good job,
we'll be told desktops no longer matter for Qt, yadda yadda yadda.

Where do you expect source compatibility to be broken?