[Development] check, Mate!

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 13:51:37 CET 2012

> Stephen Kelly spaketh:
> > http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-with-Darwin-Mac-gcc-4-0-1-
> > td2580330.html
> >
> > So, keep in mind - for portability treat 'check' as an out of bounds name
> > for a method or variable.

Thiago Macieira respondeth:

> Also to avoid:
>        sun
>        m_volume
>
> And a hint: whenever you get an error from the compiler that doesn't make
> sense at all, check the preprocessed output.

+1

Some responsible individual should make a list of such things.

Also to avoid:

  - COLOR_BACKGROUND
  - EXIT_SUCCESS
  - CopyFile
  - CreateDirectory
  - GetDriveType
  - IsCharAlpha

These are somehow leveraged through MSVS internals and do not respect
class/namespace boundaries (possibly through the preprocessor, as Thiago
suggests.)

Each one of the above represent extended periods of suffering for me (due
to ambiguous compiler and sometimes runtime error), minutes of my life
essence that I will never get back.

--charley