[Development] fixing name of QNetworkAccessManager::createRequest

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jan 13 13:04:24 CET 2012

On Friday, 13 de January de 2012 08.14.41, Peter Kuemmel wrote:
> > Well, having method createX which creates Y doesn't sound good to me
> > either.
>
> Yes, this is worse than a binary-only bug.
>
> I don't know the policy for API changes for Qt 5.0,
> but when such a thing couldn't be fixed, nothing else
> is worth braking source code compatibility.
>
> I would fix it because it is super simple to create
> a script which simply replaces all the relevant strings
> in the source files.

It's very easy to update the sources once you know that you have to. The
problem is that the script might replace things it shouldn't. "createRequest"
is not an exclusive name of QNetworkAccessManager and it might appear
elsewhere. The changes we have accepted are either for the greater good or
because they can be easily automated with very little mistake (like
#includes).

What's more, this is a change very hard to track down because it does not
create a compiler error if you forget to change your sources. It's a case of
silent bugs creeping in.

So, changing the name of this function is:

 - of little practical benefit
 - not 100% automatable without a code scanner
 - dangerous, as it creates silent bugs