[Development] Serious ABI issue discovered in -reduce-relocations

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Fri Jan 13 15:55:06 CET 2012

On Friday, January 13, 2012 12:33:46 PM ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Hello
>
> We've got a problem with -reduce-relocations. tl;dr: it's a broken concept
> and we either add a permanent workaround or we stop using it. The permanent
> workaround is to compile all executables in PIC/PIE mode.

I think calling -Bsymbolic-functions a broken concept is harsh, given that it
makes a lot of sense - doesn't it?

The fact that it breaks when comparing addresses of functions sucks, but IMHO
compiling PIC/PIE is still better than going back to all those unecessary
relocations just because somebody _might_ interpose a symbol of the public API
of the library.

Simon