[Development] What's the story for Qt5 on Harmattan?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 18 15:24:48 CET 2012

On Wednesday, 18 de January de 2012 14.52.40, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > I believe this is a view colored by qtbase/qtdeclarative/webkit only. The
> > picture is very different for networking, systeminfo, P&S or location, The
> > backends are very large and complex and hardly (if at all) used by any
> > other Linux derivate. Maintaining them is not a Sunday evening job. Unless
> > somebody actually steps up and actively maintains them I believe the code
> > will simply become unusable.
>
> Right, if the maintainers of that code feel it's more of a burden, then it's
> definitely a good idea to remove the code. But in cases where that isn't
> the case it would be nice (nice, that's all) to keep it around for those
> who care about Qt5 on Harmattan.

I'd recommend as a compromise that we simply leave them there for the time
being.

Since the Harmattan API itself isn't getting updated, the code that interfaces
with that API should be reasonably stable. The team that wants to maintain the
Harmattan port can adapt to changes in the plugin API facing Qt if necessary.