[Development] Qt Commercial 4.7.5 is out - how shall we contribute is the best?

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com
Thu Jan 19 20:45:41 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 08:55:34PM +0200, ext Robin Burchell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Oswald Buddenhagen <oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> why not just put it in 4.7, so they're one and the same,
> >>
> > because they *aren't* the same. the digia patches are not
> > community-approved by the respective domain experts. the qt project
> > cannot simply accept this, be if for trademark reasons.
>
> yup, and while that's a bad situation, if you leave them in a branch
> instead of (somehow) encouraging them to merge backwards, you're only
> going to encourage that split to stay that way. people (including
> distros) will have no choice but to use the digia version. it's not
> helping.

the thing is that 4.7 is closed as far as the qt project is concerned.
we have cemented this decision (made by qt nokia RM) by creating facts -
fixes are not being applied to 4.7 first, and given the strong
forward-merge-only preference, this cannot be revised without creating
ugliness.

fwiw, we'll probably need to re-define what the criteria for bugfix
branches are if we don't want digia to have secondary branches all the
time. "P0 and P1 bugs only" is simply no sane submit policy as far as
anyone actually *using* our stuff is concerned. our pre-existing
downstreams (i.e., linux distributors, but also maemo and symbian) have
shown this rather conclusively.