[Development] Qt Playground - 3D Audio module

michael.goddard at nokia.com michael.goddard at nokia.com
Fri Jan 20 01:42:24 CET 2012

Hi Laszlo,

On 19/01/12 6:37 PM, "ext Laszlo Papp" <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:

>> Sorry about the delay - there has been no progress that I've seen. I
>> repinged again recently but will do again.
>
>Would it be the best to call instead ?

Perhaps yes.  I have received some initial guidance from Cristy - QtOpenAL
itself is unsuitable, but two other names were proposed as being more
acceptable:

"Qt implementation of OpenAL"
"OpenAL for Qt"

The first isn't really accurate (perhaps "Qt wrapper for OpenAL"), but I'm
not sure how to translate the second into a git/module name :) openalforqt
perhaps, which doesn't really roll off the tongue.

It's also important to be clear that this is a separate project from
OpenAL and that there is no implied endorsement of OpenALforQt by the
OpenAL copyright holders.

Another alternative might be to reduce the explicit tie to OpenAL and make
a generic 3D audio API instead, with an OpenAL backend.

Cheers,
MichaelG