[Development] Use make before you push and stage

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas.aardal.hanssen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:05:43 CET 2012

> While that it would be awesome to have a system which could compile test each uploaded patch set, and preferably have the results available before developers would review them, I think it something that will not scale; at least not without a system which can guarantee proper incremental builds (ccache would be a hack, still waste lots of resources, and only works with GCC.)

How about investigating incremental builds? Could reduce compile time to just a few minutes per patch. We do that where I work, with hundreds of changes done to the repo every day, and every single patch is compiletested. Tests are also run per change, but we only run fast tests per change; slow tests are run in a separate cycle (on a best effort basis).

The occasional breakage happens whenever changes are made to build files, like Makefiles or pro files, typically when moving code around. But it's rare and manageable, as long as it's possible to force a full rebuild on demand.

Andreas