[Development] Work on qDebug and friends

Craig.Scott at csiro.au Craig.Scott at csiro.au
Sat Jan 28 15:55:54 CET 2012

Sorry for the lack of context (dealing with digest emails while on leave :-P ).

With the talk about logging in this thread, is it of interest / scope to also have the associated classes support capturing the standard C/C++ streams? By this, I mean capturing whatever gets logged via std::cout or things like printf()? I know this might not be of much interest to Qt purists, but it would be rather useful when you need to integrate with third party code and want to redirect all output. The trick is doing it on all platforms in a consistent way (Windows really muddies the waters with its separation of GUI and console apps). This would not be something for Qt 5.0, but might be worth keeping in mind from an API point of view in case someone wants to do this in a consistent way in future versions.

--
Dr Craig Scott
Computational Software Engineering Team Leader, CSIRO (CMIS)