[Development] Enabling -fPIE globally

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Jan 29 16:47:43 CET 2012

On Sunday, 29 de January de 2012 15.02.01, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com wrote:
> I think feedback from KDAB and FrogLogic about this change would also be
> valuable, to discuss the changes required to their tools for automated
> testing of Qt applications.
>
> My understanding is that they now would need a code injector on Linux
> (like on Windows), instead of simply LD_PRELOADing their libs, right?

Not exactly. In fact, without -Bsymbolic-functions, we don't add the --
dynamic-list option, which is what enables the symbol hijacking they need.

The option is still there, so the hijacking will still work. And I've already
asked Stephen to create a proper callback mechanism, instead of relying on
hijacking (which I proved not to work in my blog).