[Development] Use make before you push and stage

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Mon Jan 30 09:35:53 CET 2012

Giuseppe D'Angelo said:
> On 30 January 2012 03:51, Rohan McGovern <rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com> wrote:
> > I don't think it is a good idea.
> > Having errors with incremental builds which go away when you do a clean
> > build is one thing, but there are also some issues which _should_
> > cause the build to fail, but don't if you only do incremental builds.
>
> Thinking out loud - mad idea.
>
> Does anyone have (or knows how to extract from gerrit) stats about how
> many stages are requested on average during the week?

All of the builds are stored in git under
refs/builds/${destinationbranch}_${timestamp} , so I guess you can use
that to figure out the approximate starting time of each build, and
how many commits are introduced in each build (just ask git for the list
of commits which are in the current build and not in the previous
build).

That would be an interesting thing to analyze regardless of the
discussion in this thread.

> Would it be possible to do incremental builds when the one
> sub-repository is "more active", and full builds otherwise (with
> patches that are merged in if and only if they pass the full build)?
> For instance, if qtbase is more active during CET working hours, one
> could think of having incremental builds from 8.00-12.00 and
> 15.00-18.00, with a full build at 12.00 (~3h, till 15.00) and other
> full builds starting at 18.00 and going on overnight?

It's possible, so the question is whether or not it's a good idea.
Personally I think the build system should support incremental builds
correctly before we can use them in the codereview CI.
We already have plenty unreliable components in the CI, let's avoid
adding more.