[Development] Dropping QT_NO_STL (was: The future of QtAlgorithms)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Jan 30 23:03:22 CET 2012

On Monday, 30 de January de 2012 18.38.56, João Abecasis wrote:
> On 30. jan. 2012, at 17.25, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > My point here and below with "the containers themselves" is that we don't
> > want to use those containers in our code nor in our API.
>
> What's wrong with using them in our code, as long as they stay out of the
> API/ABI?
>
> std::vector is perfectly fine for a non-shared dynamically allocated array.

I'd like our containers to be good enough for that, to be honest. And avoid
subtle mistakes if the behaviour differs.

But where it makes sense, sure. Roberto used STL in the his C++ parser.

Just avoid "template bloat": out-of-line copies of identical code because the
compiler can't figure out two functions do the same. It's hard to measure.