[Development] Compatability break in QUrl in Qt 4.8

ext-aapo.haapanen at nokia.com ext-aapo.haapanen at nokia.com
Tue Jan 31 11:34:52 CET 2012

On 30 January 2012 17:34 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> There was no break of binary or source compatibility. It was a change of
> behaviour because the previous behaviour was considered buggy (by me).
>
> Every bug fix is a change in behaviour.

Your reasons why this change is neede make a lot of sense. Still I feel that this change is a bit more than just a bug fix. How toLocalFile() behaves for relative urls was not clearly specified in the documentation, and I feel that one could reasonably expect either result. Thus the the behaviour was implicitly defined by the implementation.

I still feel that for 4.8.1 it would be best to revert function to work like it did in 4.7, and perhaps add a note to documentation that it works like this in 4.x to maintain compatability, but the behaviour will change in 5.0. And with this note, toLocalFile() and isLocalFile() could use a different logic in 4.8.

BR,
Aapo