[Development] QtCreator C++ code parser and clang integration status

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at nokia.com
Tue Jan 31 18:34:44 CET 2012

On Tuesday 31 January 2012 17:39:28 ext Peter Kuemmel wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > When I tried to use QtCreator in my current development projects based
> > on C++11 features I was faced with some issues in qtc internal C++
> > parser. One of such issues (code completion support for auto
> > variables) I recently fixed and pushed into master qtc branch. I could
> > try to fix others, but I think what it will be waste of time if clang
> > frontend will be integrated into qtc in the near future. May be my
> > help in this integration could be more useful. So, my question is:
> > which help is needed? Should I try to fix current version of C++
> > parser or it will better if I focus on clang wrapper?
>
> ATM they don't know which route they will go. Maybe they will drop
> clang because it is much slower then the old parser, maybe they
> switch to clang. In any case, your risk to waste your time.
>
> I personally prefer clang (maybe only optionally), but I stopped
> testing it because of the 'maybe'.

The actual route will be chosen by the people that do the work.

If you don't contribute to either route - even at the risk that someone
on the "other" route is faster or better - your impact on the final
outcome might be limited... ;-)

[Apart from that I currently think that the solution in the end will be
some kind of a hybrid, so the risk to waste time is very low]

Regards,
Andre'