[Development] Proposal: Remove QML from Qt's code base (OR: Should it be a requirement that Qt Modules are interoperable?)

gunnar.sletta at nokia.com gunnar.sletta at nokia.com
Wed Jul 4 13:12:21 CEST 2012

On Jul 4, 2012, at 12:49 PM, ext Corentin Jabot wrote:

> I do not want participate to some not constructive discussion
>
> Still,
>
> Last time I checked ( a month ago), each module that provide a QML plugin had to be build against QML. (system, multimedia kit, etc)
> So you can not build Qt without building QML ( and QML it self depends on several modules)
>
> I think there should be a --no-qml option to disable the build of qml plugins and broke the dependence between all the Qt modules and QML, in order to simplify and speed up the build of Qt for those of us who do not need QML.
> Or the plugins could have their own modules, but I guess that solution could become quite unmanageable and slow the evolution of QML

The modularization system already gives you this ability. If you do not build the qtdeclarative module, it will not install itself in the mkspecs/modules directory under QT_INSTALL_PATH and will not be available as modules.

.pro files can check for the availability of a certain module and include/exclude files based on that or otherwise adapt the build of that particular module. I'm sure there quite a few places where this check could be added in the dependent modules, but it should be doable to fix those one by one as they come up.

cheers,
Gunnar