[Development] Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 4 21:31:39 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 4 de julho de 2012 20.05.37, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> I do *NOT* wanna have the QtGui stack as a dependency. If you think, I
> should establish another module for these few classes because you do
> not accept this in QtCore, I will. Again, this is VERY bad to depend
> on the whole UI stack if you have nothing to do with UI.

That's a reason not to be in QtGui.

I'm waiting for a reason to be in QtCore before I accept the classes into my
lib.

> In general this is a bad approach IMO. I am waiting for a compelling
> reason why a non-ui library should depend on the UI stack. 99% of the
> applications link to QtGui, but the command line parser is still
> supposed to be in QtCore anyway, so this is not a good stance in my
> book.

There is a good reason for the command-line parser to be in QtCore: there are
uses for QtCore-only applications, as well as in QtCore itself
(QCoreApplication can use it and I'll ask you to make that change). Moreover,
GUI applications usually do not have a very broad command-line interface --
it's the non-GUI applications that do.

I don't know what other applications would use these classes you're proposing
to move. You have to show me that.

> > And you also need to tell me that the classes are generally useful, even
> > outside of any relation to OpenGL (which was their original goal).
>
> Many classes have recently been moved from one module to another for
> good, no matter what their "original goal" was.  So what do you
> propose? Not extend the scope when the need arises because that is now
> how something was established?

Again you're missing the point: the question is whether those classes are
useful outside the OpenGL context without losing their OpenGL specificities.
Like above: I don't know and you must show them to me if you want those
classes to move to the lib I maintain.