[Development] Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Jul 4 21:44:33 CEST 2012

> I'm waiting for a reason to be in QtCore before I accept the classes into my
> lib.

You wanna me heading towards a math add-on module for these few classes?

> There is a good reason for the command-line parser to be in QtCore: there are
> uses for QtCore-only applications, as well as in QtCore itself
> (QCoreApplication can use it and I'll ask you to make that change). Moreover,
> GUI applications usually do not have a very broad command-line interface --
> it's the non-GUI applications that do.

You are missing point IMO. Command line parser is a dependency by a
lot of KDE UI applications, and elsewhere as well, really. No matter
how much difficulty they use, they *do* use, so it *is* a dependency
for UI applications. This is the same with any non-ui library so that
you can have a command line interface (command line game, music player
and so forth in this special case).

Again, let the application decide what they wanna depend on, and not
hard coded in the underlying library. That would be a very bad design
IMO.

> I don't know what other applications would use these classes you're proposing
> to move. You have to show me that.

Anything, command line interface based using 3d math, really. Also, we
have QPoint, QLine and other things in QtCore as well anyway.

>> > And you also need to tell me that the classes are generally useful, even
>> > outside of any relation to OpenGL (which was their original goal).

You can keep repeating that 3D math is only needed for OpenGL and UI,
and deny that other 3D projects could use that, but then you are just
blocking an investment to extend the scope for the Qt framework in
terms of this.

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp