[Development] Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

Charley Bay charleyb123 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 22:41:45 CEST 2012

<snip, possibly move "math3d" out of "QtGui" (maybe to "QtCore")?>

I agree with Laszlo:  The "3D-math" stuff is generally useful, and need not
be coupled to QtGui.  (We have domain-specific reasons for using 3D-math
stuff outside GUIs, separate of Laszlo's interest in "QtAudio3D" which also
does not want to couple to "QtGui" -- we cannot couple to QtGui either.)

Thiago spaketh:

> > I'm waiting for a reason to be in QtCore before I accept the classes
> into my
> > lib.  <snip, Thiago doesn't want "QtCore" to be a "dumping-ground">

Laszlo respondeth:

> You wanna me heading towards a math add-on module for these few classes?

Thiago again:

> > I don't know what other applications would use these classes you're
> > proposing to move. You have to show me that.

We have various (domain-specific) "layout-things" that do 2D and 3D math.
 Also, "typesetting" problems are non-GUI (they are
division-of-resources-or-real-estate-among-entities, and typically require
"weighting" and "transforms").

Specifically for us, we have to deal with
"optical-components-within-an-active-photonic-model" (think
"an-optical-verision-of-CAD"), and none of this is GUI (it's all model).
 On top of that, we actually do "GUI-rendering", but the coordinates
themselves are in the non-GUI model (e.g., separate library, sometimes
separate executable.)  As an aside, this is one of the projects we were
going to "move-to-try-out-QML-in-Qt5" when it's closer to release.  (We
currently have our own 2D and 3D math libs, but if Qt had a non-GUI coupled
lib, we could use it.)

I know these are only a few classes (at the moment) in Qt5, and perhaps
won't justify their own "QtMath3D" lib (perhaps).  However, it does make
sense to me that this kind of logic should be "co-located" with "QLine" and
"QPoint".

For example, our current "home-grown" stuff is in "MyGeometry3D" package,
which includes 2D and 3D points, lines, rects, and other general "math"
stuff.  For our purposes, it does not couple to any-other-libs, and we have
a design requirement that it does not couple to GUI.

Just a thought.

--charley