[Development] Move math3d from QtGui to QtCore

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Jul 6 08:07:46 CEST 2012

On sexta-feira, 6 de julho de 2012 06.54.19, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> > But you failed to indicate how you'd address the main issue of it using
> > float, which leads me to believe you did not do a thorough investigation
> > of the API and the internals before you made your proposal.
>
> To be fair, I have already asked twice without getting *any* replies:
> what about QPointF3D (and then QPoint3D for sure, but the concrete
> term is not that I have strong opinion about this). We have QPointF,
> and QPoint. Is there any problems with following the integer and
> floating point version design at other places ?

There's no QPoint3D in math3d. Therefore, we're talking about a new class, so
a new feature, so Qt 5.1.

I am interested in knowing what you plan on doing to QVector2D, QVector3D and
QVector4D.

> > As such, I feel very
> > comfortable in blocking this now: without the pressure of Qt 5.0, you have
> > more time to design a better API.
>
> You do not understand for some reasons, if this does not happen now,
> it will not happen in Qt5 to move outside QtGui, and have something
> shared in common at that place only during the upcoming few years.

Yes, I do understand perfectly. I have decided not to add my own extremely
important changes to Qt 5 because it's just too late. And I am sure I did
quite a good job at investigating the consequences (I am running the changed
code and I compiled all modules). I'm not so sure you did.

> In any case, I would call for QPointF3D (and similarities) again. I
> can even offer my help with volunteering. My only requirement is
> collaboration. Although, if it does not happen, I will establish such
> things in QtAudio3D most likely since not much I can do, if the
> collaboration is rejected.

I don't see a problem with a QPoint3D and QPointF3D class in QtCore, in
Qt 5.1, provided you also fix any ambiguities with QVector3D's existence.

PS: your commas are weirdly placed.