[Development] OpenGL Support in Qt5

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Jul 16 16:54:10 CEST 2012

On Monday 16 July 2012 07:21:23 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 16 de julho de 2012 15.12.15, Sean Harmer wrote:
> > On Monday 16 July 2012 07:08:38 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > > I'm asking for Qt 5.0: what should we tell Linux distributors to
> > > configure
> > > qtbase with? Considering what requirements qtwayland has, I think it
> > > needs
> > > to be -opengl es2.
> > >
> > > Correct?
> >
> > If using wayland then yes I believe so.
> >
> > If using xcb backend then -opengl desktop works fine.
>
> There's only one build of Qt. The choice is made at compile-time of qtbase,
> not at run-time like the platform plugin.
>
> So everyone should use OpenGL ES 2.

Unless they want to support applications that use legacy OpenGL calls or
develop new applications that use modern desktop GL.

There seems to be a dependency issue here that needs resolving. Qtbase itself
has a configure time switch for OpenGL ES vs Desktop whereas the QPA plugins
can be decided upon at runtime. Is there some way we can move the GL decision
to be runtime too I wonder?

I don't like how even building the wayland QPA plugin means that we limit Qt
and the apps built with it to OpenGL ES. I really don't want to get into a
situation where we can build modern OpenGL apps for the desktop that work fine
on Windows and Mac but not on Linux just because Qt for Linux has the wayland
qpa plugin built.

Ideas welcome.

Sean

--