[Development] Suggestion on QML portability

Andreas Aardal Hanssen andreas at hanssen.name
Tue Jul 17 21:17:24 CEST 2012

2012/7/17 <marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com>

> > (2D accelerators are often bundled with GPUs and perform 2D rendering
> > ops faster than GPUs, but are unusable with QML 2 / SceneGraph; see
> > pvr2d).
> 2D accelerators bundled with GPUs perform 2D rendering ops faster than
> GPUs? Uhmm... that sentence is conflicting in my head, unless you mean
> that you are using highly specialized boards with multiple GPUs (n*PVR)
> on them to do things really really fast in parallel.

[OT]

No, I really mean dedicated 2D hardware chips outperform GPUs by far. It's
easy to do certain common simple 2D graphics faster than most embedded GPUs
I know of, even using the CPU. GPUs are built for (1) 3D transformations on
textures, (2) vertex-heavy objects and (3) per-pixel shading operations.
But it's easily beat for simple 2D operations like blit (e.g., DMA),
filtering/scaling (e.g., FPGAs). Most mobiles / tablet UIs are 90% 2D.

My point is simply that Qt 5 is best served with a painting backend for QML
2 that can support non-OpenGL technologies.

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen