[Development] QML TranslationLoader element?

Alan Alpert alan.alpert at nokia.com
Tue Jul 31 09:34:41 CEST 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:34:23 ext Jeremy Lainé wrote:
> I have found QML's network transparency very handy for loading whole UIs
> over the network, it makes it possible for instance to have "live updates"
> to an application provided all the changes happen on the QML side. However,
> once internationalization comes into play, there's a catch: unless I'm
> mistaken there's currently no way to load Qt's .qm translations straight
> from QML code.

Correct. Currently you need to add additional translation loading inside the
C++ part of your application.

> I was therefore thinking of adding a "TranslationLoader" QML element (along
> the lines of FontLoader) which would have the following properties:
>
> - QUrl source: the URL to the .qm file
> - enumeration status (Null / Ready / Loading / Error): the loader's status
>
> Any thoughts on such an addition, or on a better API?

That API looks good. Pretty simple. If the implementation is correspondingly
simple, I think such a type would be a welcome addition to QtQml. All you need
to do is contribute it through gerrit ;) .

PS: To me, CrowdQuick looks like a completely different thing, albiet one which
would greatly benefit from a type such as this.

--
Alan Alpert