[Development] Becoming a Tier 1 platform and the CI System

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Thu Jun 7 00:33:57 CEST 2012

Sean Harmer said:
> On Wednesday 06 June 2012 12:02:23 lars.knoll at nokia.com wrote:
> > On 6/6/12 1:56 PM, "ext Sean Harmer" <sean.harmer at kdab.com> wrote:
> > >I understand and integrating into the CI system would seem by far the
> > >most
> > >sensible way to go in terms of maintainability, reducing man-power at
> > >release
> > >time and preventing introduction of regressions.
> >
> > Absolutely. But that requires that someone steps up and creates a CI
> > infrastructure we can use. The current one is based on a commercial
> > solution that Nokia unfortunately can't hand out to everybody. It should
> > however be possible to use the existing scripts (with some modifications)
> > on Jenkins.
>
> Can you elucidate on what you mean by "someone steps up and creates a CI
> infrastructure" please?
>
> Do you mean that the existing one needs hooks adding to allow additional
> external nodes to be plugged in? Or that new hardware, hosting, CI tool and
> everything else is needed from fresh? Or something in between?

It means that the current CI infrastructure is operated by Nokia and
can't have build nodes plugged in from outside of Nokia premises.  So,
if you need to manage your own build nodes, there is currently no way to
integrate with the Qt Project CI system.  Fixing this is a significant
project which I am not aware of anyone currently working on :(

However, if testing (at least compile testing) for your platform can be
done with commodity hardware and freely available software, and is not
particularly demanding in other respects, there's a possibility of
making progress with the current setup.  If that's the case, please
create a task with some of the technical details on
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTQAINFRA .