[Development] Make qdoc an officially supported tool for generating QML API documentation

Sven Anderson Sven.Anderson at snom.com
Mon Jun 11 11:48:50 CEST 2012

Hi Casper,

On 11.06.2012 10:32, casper.vandonderen at nokia.com wrote:
> We have been very busy to get qdoc running outside of Qt (I am starting to
> use qdoc as LaTeX-lite now if I just need an HTML page). I do agree that
> the qdoc manual should be improved with examples that do not necessarily
> reflect how we use qdoc with Qt.

thanks for your reply. That's good news! So, this sounds like "Yes, qdoc
will probably be an official tool for external usage". Is this
interpretation correct?

> All changes that we are doing to qdoc are only added to the Qt5 version of
> qdoc (which is qdoc instead of qdoc3). The Qt5 version should also support
> the \inherits you mentioned in the QTBUG (be aware that you cannot use
> \inherits when documenting .qml files, since we automatically use the top
> level element in the .qml file.

That's great! In the the docs for qdoc (Qt 5) it's not yet mentioned how
\inherits behaves on "external" QML items. So, how does it work? Does it
have a hardcoded list of Qt Quick items and its elements and links it to
the official Qt Quick docs? Or will it even work with third-party QML
items? But then, where does qdoc get the information about inherited
members and the location of their documentation?

Thanks, and best regards,

Sven