[Development] [Interest] C++11 in Qt5

bradley.hughes at nokia.com bradley.hughes at nokia.com
Wed Jun 13 20:49:35 CEST 2012

On Jun 12, 2012, at 11:12 PM, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:

> On terça-feira, 12 de junho de 2012 15.16.38, Stephen Chu wrote:
>> I am curious if the runtime issue on OS X has been dealt with?
>
> Yes. We decided not to force libc++. We're still using the compiler default,
> whichever that is (currently libstdc++). If the compiler changes defaults, you
> can blame the compiler vendor.

The runtime issue has been dealt with as Thiago says. We do not change the default C++ runtime. However...

>> fatal error: 'initializer_list' file not found
>> #include <initializer_list>
>>          ^
>
> Our Mac developers have been using C++11 with libstdc++'s headers just fine.
> They've told me that Apple patches the libstdc++ headers to make them work.

This is a new error that we also stumbled over today. Essentially, we can't enable C++11 language support in the compiler while the C++ library doesn't provide C++11 headers or features. It's all or nothing.

To deal with this, we'll have to introduce a way to switch the C++ runtime when building for Mac OS X. The best option to do this is with a new mkspec. I have a commit that needed testing (i.e. I started the compile before I left work today). I'll upload the commits to Gerrit tomorrow.