[Development] Code of conduct.

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Fri Jun 22 09:53:55 CEST 2012

Right. I must admit i can't see which specific incident which triggered this thread now, i believe the community has behaved good lately. But i agree that a general code of conduct for all our forums (mails, IRC, reviews, bugreports, etc)

So, let's grab one of the existing CoC for KDE, Linux.Conf and/or others, take the best of them and make it our own.

Anyone feel like taking the lead on that, and drive the discussions until a conclusion?

--
Sent from my Nokia N9

On 6/22/12 1:16 ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
On sexta-feira, 22 de junho de 2012 08.47.34, Rohan McGovern wrote:
> Having a code of conduct may anyway be a good thing, but I
> don't think it would have made a difference to the behavior from
> non-contributors I think you're referring to in your mail.
> No matter what you do, jerks will be jerks....

That is true, but like you said it's a good thing. It's something we can point
to when things start to get heated, even to non-contributors. And if we do
need to take action, like moderating or banning someone from a mailing list,
we can point to it and say it was not an arbitrary decision.

I'd like to think that common sense should be enough to guide our conduct, but
experience shows that common sense is not that common. And as the community
grows, we might get more and more people with different cultures, different
viewpoints and who might inadvertently step on other people's toes.