[Development] Porting tools session at Qt CS
stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Mon Jun 25 17:50:35 CEST 2012
At Qt CS I hosted a session about the clang based tooling I wrote to automate
the boring parts of porting from Qt4+Qt3Support to Qt5.
* The scope and limitations of the tool
- Works best for boring stuff, not something that requires complex porting
because for example, entirely different APIs have to be used in some cases
when methods get deprecated.
* How the tool works
- I showed and explained the code and the result after running it in
* Whether anyone else is interested in using or contributing to it
- At least Ben Meyer was interested in trying it out and contributing a few
* Where it should live
- As it depends on non-public API of clang, the clang source tree is a good
candidate, however, that may inconvenient for many Qt contributors. There
is a possibility of getting some or most of it into clang itself
where a contributor community for simliar refactoring fragments is
starting to emerge. The Qt-Creator repo, which might also introduce a
clang dependency could also be a candidate.
* How it should be used
- It has potentially long term use-cases for KDAB at least as we'll be doing
ports from Qt 3 and 4 to 5 for some time, but also could be used to help
porting away from API deprecated in Qt 5.x potentially.
Feel free to ask anything else about the tooling here.
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer
KDAB (Deutschland) GmbH & Co.KG, a KDAB Group Company
www.kdab.com || Germany +49-30-521325470 || Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090
KDAB - Qt Experts - Platform-Independent Software Solutions
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 3636 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Development