[Development] qt 4/5 co-installs

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Tue Jun 26 22:45:48 CEST 2012

Hi Jonathan,

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Jonathan Riddell <jriddell at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Looking at Qt 5 for packaging in Ubuntu.
>
> Qt 4 and 5 contain quite a lot of files with the same names, at the
> Ubuntu Developer Summit in April we discussed the issue of bin/moc
> qmake etc but I see all the libraries have the same name too so
> probably development environments just can't be co-installed from
> distro packages.

I am glad you brought this up. I did send out the UDS meeting minutes
to the list but I forgot to follow up on this.

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,29464 renames the tools to
uic5, moc5, qmake5. The top level configure also needs a one line fix
which I haven't pushed yet. I was able to compile qt5 modules with
that change.

I haven't looked into renaming the libraries. Before I do that, I
wanted to check with the list on their thoughts/comments on this
change.

I do think the libraries and tools should be renamed.

Girish