[Development] QtCS: OpenGL session notes

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Thu Jun 28 13:46:22 CEST 2012

On 28/06/2012 01:59, ext Samuel Rødal wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 06:30 PM, ext marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com wrote:
>> On 25/06/2012 13:44, ext Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
>>> Future plans - Desktop OpenGL 3+ support, ES 3 support
>>
>> We've just added ANGLE support in Qt (-angle <dir>), to enable
>> DirectX usage instead of OpenGL ES 2 on Windows, due to many buggy
>> drivers.
>>
>> How will this effort affect this usage?
>
> This effort is about enabling QGLWidget / QWindow applications using
> raw OpenGL or the low level OpenGL enablers in QtGui to get access to
> newer OpenGL versions. The QML scene graph will still be using OpenGL
> ES 2.

Ok good. This was exactly what I was looking for.

> In theory we could even support both options in the windows platform
> plugin, and choose either depending on what the QSurfaceFormat asks
> for. OpenGL ES 2 via ANGLE, and desktop OpenGL 2 and above via the
> native OpenGL drivers.

Are you sure that would be possible? The ANGLE project is about
translating OpenGL calls to DirectX, so it might be hard to support both
at the same time? Or do you mean that we would have two different
plugins, where we link ANGLE to just one of them?

If so, where you planning on mixed usage (OpenGL ES2 and OpenGL 2 usage
at the same time)?

>> Will we actively contribute to the ANGLE project, to ensure it's
>> usable when we extend our use of OpenGL?
>
>> It would be bad for end users if they rely on ANGLE and we change
>> the OpenGL backend to use functionality not covered by ANGLE in the
>> next version, making migration to the next version of Qt
>> impossible.
>>
>> What is the timeline for OpenGL 3+ support, and when is OpenGL ES
>> 3 scheduled for release?
>
> QML scene graph will keep using OpenGL ES 2 for the foreseeable
> future, although we can potentially use extensions when available.

Ok, that sounds good.

--
.marius