[Development] QtCS: OpenGL session notes

Samuel Rødal samuel.rodal at nokia.com
Thu Jun 28 08:59:12 CEST 2012

On 06/27/2012 06:30 PM, ext marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com wrote:
> On 25/06/2012 13:44, ext Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
>> Future plans
>> - Desktop OpenGL 3+ support, ES 3 support
>
> We've just added ANGLE support in Qt (-angle <dir>), to enable DirectX
> usage instead of OpenGL ES 2 on Windows, due to many buggy drivers.
>
> How will this effort affect this usage?

This effort is about enabling QGLWidget / QWindow applications using raw
OpenGL or the low level OpenGL enablers in QtGui to get access to newer
OpenGL versions. The QML scene graph will still be using OpenGL ES 2.

In theory we could even support both options in the windows platform
plugin, and choose either depending on what the QSurfaceFormat asks for.
OpenGL ES 2 via ANGLE, and desktop OpenGL 2 and above via the native
OpenGL drivers.

> Will we actively contribute to the ANGLE project, to ensure it's usable
> when we extend our use of OpenGL?

> It would be bad for end users if they rely on ANGLE and we change the
> OpenGL backend to use functionality not covered by ANGLE in the next
> version, making migration to the next version of Qt impossible.
>
> What is the timeline for OpenGL 3+ support, and when is OpenGL ES 3
> scheduled for release?

QML scene graph will keep using OpenGL ES 2 for the foreseeable future,
although we can potentially use extensions when available.

--
Samuel