[Development] Moving qdoc to qtbase (and renaming from qdoc3 to qdoc)

casper.vandonderen at nokia.com casper.vandonderen at nokia.com
Tue Mar 6 10:30:41 CET 2012

Hi,

We are currently integrating a patch that moves qdoc3 to qtbase and renames it to just qdoc. (http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,18850)
This allows qdoc to be bootstrapped, so that you always have qdoc available and that we can properly modularize the documentation.

Why do we do this:
- The Qt5 documentation is not modularized properly. We need qdoc in qtbase to modularize. Since we don't want to compile qtbase, qtjsbackend, qtdeclarative and qtdoc before you can run qdoc on QtCore.
- Last week qdoc lost forward compatibility with the \li change, it is not possible anymore to run an older qdoc3 on the current Qt5 documentation any more, a name change makes this difference clear.
- We have wanted to rename qdoc3 to qdoc for some time already.

What do we want to do next (don't expect this to be done by next week):
- Refactor the documentation to make it possible to run qdoc on just single modules.
- Install .index files to some default installation location to make it possible to run qdoc on individual modules and use the index file from other modules automatically. This basically means that qdoc is run on QtCore, the index file is installed somewhere, you then run qdoc on QtSql and it uses the index file from QtCore automatically. I hope this addresses some of the often requested functionality to run qdoc on a single folder.
- Move the documentation content around a bit. So that in qtbase the documentation from QtCore is not in doc/src/corelib anymore, but in src/corelib/doc.
- Make some more stuff hardcoded in qdoc, for instance a default sources.fileextensions, which you can override using a qdocconf file. This would hopefully make it possible to run qdoc without any qdocconf file at all.

If you run qdoc3 in your own projects you can use lessThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 5) { } in your .pro/pri files to point to either qdoc3 or qdoc, this should allow you to run both a Qt4 qdoc3 and a Qt5 qdoc. Where you will get warnings in the qt5 qdoc because of the changes regarding \o, \li and \bold.

Casper