[Development] cast ... increases required alignment of target type [-Werror=cast-align]

andre.poenitz at nokia.com andre.poenitz at nokia.com
Thu Mar 15 12:51:48 CET 2012

> > -Werror should never be enabled on non-developer builds.
>
>  Why not? Is the plan to ship code that contains warnings?*

That is not the _plan_. But the plan is also not to jump through
hoops to silence bogus warnings, and the plan is also not to
purchase crystal balls to predict what the next release
of some compiler might consider worth a warning.

The released packages have to be usable for a while, turning
on -Werror is a safe way to make them unusable out-of-the-box
with the next patch release of your favourite compiler.

The released packages have also to be usable in environments
where "system" headers produce warnings.

For a quick check, pull a couple of source packages for your
favourite distribution and check how many have -Werror on
by default.

>  And when I started tracking them down, I was able
>  to prove that at least a few of those warnings

Nobody prevents you from turning on -Werror on a local
build and submit fixes.

>  All code should build warning free, at least until
>  the customer introduces changes.

I am afraid this is wishful thinking, certainly as long as you
don't fully control the environment in which the code is compiled.

Regards,
Andre'