[Development] cast ... increases required alignment of target type [-Werror=cast-align]

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Mar 15 13:12:43 CET 2012

On quinta-feira, 15 de março de 2012 07.20.09, Atlant Schmidt wrote:
> > -Werror should never be enabled on non-developer builds.
>
>   Why not? Is the plan to ship code that contains
>   warnings?*

Qt should be always built with -Wall -Wextra, plus maybe one or two non-
standard warnings (candidates are -Wcast-align, -Wshadow, etc.). That's for
everyone:

 - Qt developers working on Qt
 - other developers building Qt
 - other developers building their own apps that use Qt headers

Now, the -Werror flag is only enabled for the first group. We, the Qt
developers, fix those warnings. Other developers, in their course of using Qt,
which may involve building it first, should not have to deal with build errors
caused by warnings.

Warnings change frequently depending on the compiler version and optimisation
settings. New versions of the compilers will produce new warnings that we
hadn't seen before, and old versions we have not tested will produce old
false-positive warnings. For those reasons, enabling -Werror for anyone but us
is a mistake.