[Development] Qt 5 and old versions of XCB

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Sun Mar 18 21:10:51 CET 2012

On 3/18/12 6:28 PM, "ext Bradley Smith" <bsmith at baysmith.com> wrote:

>Every Linux distro uses X.org, which uses XCB.
>

> Including openSUSE 11.1, but just any XCB is not enough. It needs to be
>more recent than some version. For users with an incompatible version of
>XCB, I think we can provide a better user experience than hitting
>compiler errors when building Qt. If someone knows the minimum version
>required, hopefully configure tests can check for it.
>
>While trying to upgrade XCB, I also found that OpenGL support was only
>enabled if the xcb-xlib configuration test passed. I don't believe this
>limitation was reported by the configuration output either.

Feel free to provide patches for better diagnostic messages then.

Solving the problem of old distro's is not that hard. All that's required
is to link xcb statically into the platform plugin. This is something that
can be done, it can even be made rather simply in the Qt build system.

But it would require someone with the interest to do the work. So far
nobody has volunteered.

Cheers,
Lars