[Development] Issues with cross-compilation

Pierre Vorhagen pvorhagen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 12:30:05 CET 2012

Hello,

I have had 2 issues with cross-compilation of Qt 5 to an ARM board, that
I have not found clean solutions for.

1. For libbootstrap, qmake seems to pick up the cross-compiler, instead
of the one of the development system. This results in failure when said
library is seen to be in the wrong format.

Adding "QMAKE_CC = gcc" in bootstrap.pro fixes this. However, that is
not a very clean solution, and I was wondering if this happened to
anyone else, or if it could be a bug somewhere. In any case, I'm quite
sure that there must be another solution...

2. When configuring with a -prefix specific to my target system, I
install qtbase with INSTALL_ROOT=<some_development_directory>, so that I
can continue building other modules, and possibly tweak the current qt
installation before putting it onto the actual board, at the location
configured with -prefix. However, that results in the mkspec not being
found, which can be resolved by setting QMAKESPEC but then fails when
not finding syncqt.

I fix this by adding a symlink on my development system from the -prefix
path to the actual install, in my development directory. This is an ugly
hack. How can I do this in a nicer way? Are there other variables like
QMAKESPEC to be set, or is there one that gives an "INSTALL_ROOT" to qmake?

A 3rd issue would be the one I am currently on, that is hardfloat config
test now failing when trying to build qtjsbackend, although I've built a
functional Qt5 before, with the same toolchain... that would need more
investigating on my part though, but if someone knows  how to resolve
it, I would save some time. :)

Thank you for your time,
Pierre V.